Thursday, January 29, 2009

School Days, Part Two

Call me Mother of the Year.

We're trying this whole school thing again. Peanut is excited, I'm apprehensive. Let's face it, Round One wasn't quite the success story we were hoping for. However, this time we have a teacher who is better equipped to handle Peanut. And a smaller class size.

Peanut's teacher requested that we come in and meet the other students and get Peanut used to the idea of school. She was concerned with the idea of separation anxiety. Too bad the only one of us with separation anxiety is me. Make no mistake, I'm delighted with this program, and in awe of the new amounts of free time. The issue is Peanut's temper tantrums. What am I letting myself into? How many horrified stares are waiting for me? And will my kid ever be ready for school?

I should know better.

Sure enough, Boy Wonder broke out with a couple of mini tantrums. I held back (for a change) and let the teacher deal. Peanut was calm within a few minutes and I walked over, bracing myself. The teacher must have suspected what was on my mind, because she looked up with a reassuring smile.

"It's okay. It wasn't that bad. And it's not the only tantrum we've ever had in here."

And I nearly cried with relief.

This woman, bless her, understands my child. She can help me unlock his frustrations with Asperger's (mine too, come to that), and see the sweet, loving little man I occasionally catch glimpses of.

There's hope after all.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: