Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Things He Eats

Call me Mother of the Year.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Yes, I know this is only going to get worse.

As I was discoursing on the latest What-Peanut's-Done-Now to a laughing Runner Up, we started another discussion on food for our boys. We tend to commiserate on the fact that if they keep eating like this, second mortgages may come into being when the teenage years arrive. Keep in mind, Partner-In-Crime is four, and Peanut will be four in February.

Peanut snarfed four slices of ham, 3/4 pound of peapods, two cups of whole strawberries, 1/2 pound of grapes, and is still claiming hunger. Let it be said that was lunch yesterday. Oh, and a couple pieces of toast. Today looked about the same, complete with "I'm hungry, mommy!" at twenty second intervals. Runner Up countered by telling me about her small son's daily 1/2 pound of lunch meat habit. Please God, let these boys stay away from football. Wait, no, not that lucky. Plus, maybe that'll get rid of some of their energy.

As I was ruminating on our ever-growing grocery bill, I came across a friend's blog. Freckled Mama and I have been friends since high school, and I'm always pleased when she writes. Her latest entry discoursed on the massive savings at the grocery store. She's my new shopping hero. Maybe I won't have to take out that second mortgage after all but instead, join the masses who use coupons. Why didn't I think of that? No need for answers, kids.

Or I could just do what Grammy did with Boomer: feed him and send him to those who are willing to feed him again.

Call me Mother of the Year.

By the way, check out Freckled Mama's blog: www.freckledmama.blogspot.com

No comments: