Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stage Two

Call me Mother of the Year.

It's all good, kids.

Yesterday was THE MEETING. I'm putting it in all caps because that's how I've been thinking about it. This was the meeting between the school and me to determine what, if any, services Peanut will receive from his schools. A few comments from those involved had me concerned, and I'm grateful to friends who offered support, prayers, ways to navigate Asperger's, and tissues (mainly Boomer). I went into that meeting with the state's rules for services memorized and arguments laid out.

Never needed them. Thank heaven.

As soon as the school saw the psychologist's report about Peanut's diagnosis, they immediately moved to get him services. His IEP has been written, and he's been given a place immediately. They've even taken our upcoming vacation into account, and are allowing him to start after we get back. He'll be in a program for 2 1/2 hours per day, five days a week. He's going to get the help he needs in the setting that will do him the most good. Plus, for an easier transition, they've invited Peanut and me to come down next week and see the classroom and meet the teacher and students. I'm relieved, and Peanut is beyond excited.

So the Thomas backpack is being dusted off, school supplies are being procures, and birth certificate is being found. Off we go to big boy school!

Call me Mother of the Year.

1 comment:

Freckledmama said...

That is SUCH great news! Far too often we hear horror stories about trying to get schools and parents to agree when an IEP is needed but it sounds like it went great!

Way to go Peanut!