Monday, January 5, 2009

Little Miracles Everywhere

Call me Mother of the Year.

This is huge. Peanut is getting whatever he wants. And not taking advantage. Is this really my kid? YES.

And now to start making sense...

Part of the Asperger's diagnosis is that Peanut is unable to feel pain. That explains a lot. Namely, Peanut is unable to sense the need for the toilet (thus all our setbacks. Could have done with that knowledge a bit earlier, but oh well). However, another corner has been turned. Peanut can now associate his needs and act on them without prompting. First time ever.

For anyone who has dealt with the joys (or not) of potty training, this is massive. For a mommy who has spent the last year working for this, it's nearly unspeakable. My kid just made the impossible possible. It's the first of many obstacles that we're identifying, and he's smashed it.

Are there going to be setbacks? You bet. Am I ready? See earlier answer.

But for right now, I'm reveling. My kid is a success, and I will shout it with him. Bring on the rewards; today is not the day for correcting. My trip back up this slope begins again tomorrow. Right now, he climbed Everest and I was along for the ride.

And besides, the Thomas underwear is seriously cool.

Call me Mother of the Year.

1 comment:

Freckledmama said...

Way to go Peanut and way to go Mom!