Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Wrapup

Call me Mother of the Year.

'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Christmas Eve turned into an exercise in Peanut control. We went from the great-grandparents to church to Nana and Papa's to home in one day. Let me just say I am in awe of what that kid can take and dole out. Transitions went well, the charm was turned to the max, and when he was done with this sitting still nonsense, he let me know quietly. Silent night, indeed.

A little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.

In this house? Are you kidding? Peanut is TERRIFIED of Santa Claus. Boomer attempted to invoke the jolly old elf's name in an attempt to get the kid off me Christmas morning. Nothing doing. I finally asked if he wanted to see the tree, and that was acceptable. No Santa. At all. Maybe next year.

The presents were delightful, but the best part was the unwrapping. Peanut loves wrapping paper and will use his considerable powers of persuasion to unwrap your gift for you. Free of charge. Whether you want him to or not. I was laughing, because really, it made his day to play with the paper. The sheer joy was enough for both him and I to relax.

Then came the fun part: playing with new toys. Peanut just got done with a playdate involving Doggy Luke, new trains, Train Boy, two temper tantrums, and a partridge in a pear tree. We don't quite know what to do with this new stuff, but by golly, we're going to figure it out. The best part was listening to the boys be super polite to each other between joyous shrieks. SuperTeacher and I had to stuff sleeves into our mouths to keep from laughing out loud and spoiling the moment.

But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: