Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Wrapup

Call me Mother of the Year.

The candy begging is over, and the sugar rush is just beginning. Despite my son's enviable eating habits (I'm grateful to have the only child in America who begs for broccoli), he is currently convinced that he needs candy for all meals. Seriously, Peanut on sugar high is not on my list of fun things. Especially when I'm the one saying no.

Not surprisingly, there are a few fun stories. One of Peanut's cousins, slightly younger, called "trick or treat" to the kids at his house and then tried to reach into their bags to thief their candy. Too bad wee ones do NOT get the thought of "if I'm giving them candy, they're not giving it back". I'm snickering only because it wasn't my kid. According to Boomer, my kid bellowed "trick or treat" with everything he had (and trust me, this kid's got quite a bit... blame his mother) at an unsuspecting elderly lady. Friends are snickering. Same reason as my earlier snickering.

I too had a moment to ponder that had nothing to do with chocolate. A friend and I were supervising our sons in their I-look-cute-so-give-me-candy scheme and, during our collective admonishments to say thank you, he offered a bit of advice.

"We helicopter parents need to quit hovering."

Huh.

I like to think that I'm giving Peanut his space, or as much space as a three and a half year old can expect. But as I write this, the evidence suggests otherwise. Mommy constantly watching child at the park, ready to correct or make better? Right here. Rarely lets Wonder Toddler out of sight? You guessed it. Husband contemplating patenting phrases "He'll be fine." "I've got this." "Relax!" Present and accounted for.

It may be prudent for me to start realizing that protective is good, but hovering is bad, even for toddlers. And yes, I'm going to start attempting to let go of some of my control. The Peanut will undoubtedly react with glee. The laughter you hear is Boomer's. But then, he knows me too well for my own good.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: