Monday, October 27, 2008

The Wonder of the Peanut

Call me Mother of the Year.

Peanut is entranced. And there was much amusement from his mother.

Mark this on the calendar, kids: the first snow flurries have arrived. It's a disgusting 40 degrees outside, and snow is hanging out on our deck, patio, and doing a fine job of sneaking into our pool. By the way, it's only disgusting because there was an outdoor play date scheduled for tomorrow that is so not going to happen now. Grrr. Anyway. So I look out the window and advise Peanut that it is, in fact, snowing. Then things got very cool around here.

Peanut, being small and full of wonder, immediately hauled preschooler butt to the nearest door to investigate, Mommy closely following. I may be a professional crank at times, but I still enjoy the peace of the first snow of the year. Until I have to drive in it.

"Mommy! It's snowing!!!"

"Yeah, Peanut, isn't it great?"

A pause, and then the fun starts.

A tiny voice asks, "Can we go skiing now?"

And Mommy is hard put to keep from laughing her head off.

Peanut accepts that skiing will not be happening for a few more months because there needs to be more snow. And we're skiing over his birthday, and we can't leave until his birthday. The snow quickly loses favor, and the trains win out.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my son's wonder at this small beauty. And searching frantically for my cocoa recipe. Popcorn, cocoa, and snow. And happy Peanut. Life is good.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: