Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sleep, Peanut, Sleep

Call me Mother of the Year.

I'm sure there's a reason for this. I'm equally sure I'm a major part of the reason. But I'm forced to wonder aloud why the HECK my kid is acting like someone gave him the preschooler version of No-Doz? The usual suspects include a contrary Peanut, disgustingly early wake-up time, and nearly two-hour nap due to disgustingly early wake-up time. Result: two hours of diversion while Peanut entertains us, his ghosts, stuffed animals and possibly the neighbors with singing and sound effects from a sippy cup. At least the kid's got rhythm. And we now know that bars on a toddler bed sound kind of like a xylophone when beaten with a sippy full of water. Learn something new every day.

There are lessons here. First, never allow a three and a half year old boy anywhere near my bed before 7:00 a.m. I'd prefer 8:00, but I'm attempting to be realistic. Second, if such insanity is in fact allowed, don't let the kid nap until 4:00 in the afternoon. Thus two-hour block. Not good.

On the other hand, a wired Peanut is seriously entertaining. When Boomer is in charge. And all I have to do is accept kisses and hugs. I'm good with this part. But it fell to me to convince Wonder Toddler that sleeping in Mommy and Daddy's bed all night wasn't going to happen. Major kicking. And sleeping with Peanut's feet in my face isn't comfortable.

At last, however, there is peace and quiet emanating from the Peanut's room. Which has been torn apart in the valiant but futile attempt at avoiding sleep. And he still needs to explain how sleeping under the pillow and over the covers is comfy. Oh well. Sleep well, little Peanut.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: