Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blogging Hiatus

Call me Mother of the Year.

So I've been away for awhile. A long while. And I've missed you. I've missed having this outlet for all twelve of you to read and snicker at my adventures. The adventures are still there, and I've learned a few things over the last couple of months.

I've learned that it's physically impossible to keep from laughing as Peanut answers "What is your address?" with "Pants and a shirt, right Mommy?" It is, however, great for a teachable moment. Peanut now knows exactly where he lives and we're working on reciting his phone number.

I've learned that the Potted Plant stage is all too short. Tula is doing her level best to crawl and in the process is doing an exemplary job of rolling all over every possible flat surface. Woe betide the mommy who thought she had another couple of months to childproof. Guess why I haven't been blogging?

I've learned that I can survive a new diagnosis on Peanut. Beloved Teacher suggested that Peanut be retested as some of his behaviors don't quite fit the Asperger spectrum. She was correct- Peanut is dealing with ADHD. And, as it turns out, needs glasses something fierce. I greeted this news with a remarkable guilt trip, thank you very much. Boomer has spent much time reminding me that this is not my fault- in the firmest tones and words possible.

I've learned that there is nothing scarier than watching my baby go for x-rays. We know that nothing's wrong and there's no need to worry. But Tula's soft spot was closing too quickly, and our pediatrician wanted to make sure that there were no problems. There aren't. For the record, Tula objected furiously to the x-rays. Here's hoping the techs have recovered their hearing by now.

Most importantly, I've learned that Peanut is more than excited about starting Kindergarten, and there is nothing better than sitting beside my not-so-small son and listening to him read. Usually with his little sister on my lap. Peanut is an excellent big brother and Tula's lucky to have him. I'm the luckiest, though- I have them both.

And now that I've unburdened myself to you, there are bedtime stories to be read, kisses to be given, and two small ones to be put to bed. Peanut blows you kisses and Tula is showing off both of her teeth.

Call me Mother of the Year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Guess I shouldn't teach Peanut how to tell time..."it's half past the monkey's....bum." :-)

Peanut is very intelligent and I hope school challenges that. I also don't think there is an intelligent child out there who doesn't have at least some bits of ADHD. I think Peanut's Opa still does. :o)

Sounds like Tula has the Funk "we hate doctors" gene. Don't ask how I know about that one.