Thursday, August 20, 2009

Brotherly Love

Call me Mother of the Year.

I'm having a lazy day today with Peanut due to the fact that preschool starts tomorrow. And I'm feeling lazy, but that's beside the point. We're making sure all supplies are properly marked and ready to go for tomorrow, but we're still taking time to hang out.

Peanut realizes that he no longer fits comfortably on my lap, so if I'm sitting or lying on the couch, it's hug time. The new favorite game is "Squeeze" (fairly self-explanatory) and the idea of Peanut and Papa. During the day, I'm the favorite target. And quite happy about it.

So this afternoon Peanut decides it's time to squeeze me. He comes flying at me and accidentally lands on my belly. Right on his unborn sibling's head. Figures. I explain that's not a good idea, and Peanut asks if he can feel the baby. I have no objection, and my favorite moment of the afternoon occurs.

Peanut leans in, and whispers to my stomach "Hi baby. It's me, Peanut. Don't be scared."

And my heart melts.

Was I really concerned about how Peanut would do with this big brother idea? Granted, it'll be a whole different ball game when the baby makes its appearance. For right now, though, smart money says my little man will make a terrific big brother.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: