Monday, August 24, 2009

All Grown Up... For Now

Call me Mother of the Year.

Today was the day Peanut and I have both been looking forward to- first day of school. More importantly, first day on the school bus. We were having our "thou shalt stay seated on the school bus" discussion when Peanut asked if I was riding the bus with him. The crunching sound you hear would be my heart. No, I explained that the bus was for big kids like himself. Thankfully, his driver let me get a picture of him on the bus. It was enough. And I hauled myself into the house before he saw me wipe a tear. Pregnancy hormones and big moments just do not mix well. Of course, he did just fine at school and on the bus, and his driver complimented me and him for his fine manners. Apparently he thanked the driver for taking him to school and for bringing him home. That's my boy. There were many hugs and a request for milk. And there was much rejoicing.

Later on, Boomer and I took Peanut along to my checkup. Peanut had a fine time charming my midwife and her nurse, and helping himself to suckers. The best was when he thanked her and asked if Mommy and Daddy could have suckers too. When his request was granted, he immediately handed them over to us. My kid is awesome.

Peanut has finally heard the baby... okay, he's heard the baby's heartbeat... and he's quite excited by this. He's also heard his heartbeat, Boomer's heartbeat, and was doing his level best to hear the midwife's before Boomer and I put a stop to his requests. It's been a full day for my baby- who isn't a baby anymore. Sooner I realize that, happier I'll be. For now, though, he's curled up with his head under the pillow, visions of vanilla ice cream with sprinkles no doubt bouncing through his dreams. And tomorrow is another day of adventure.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: