Friday, July 31, 2009

Peanut's Morning

Call me Mother of the Year.

This morning, as usual, Peanut came hauling into our room to bury himself on Boomer's side of the bed. I'm certain that he's the only one in the house who is happy Daddy gets up at the crack of dawn. His side is nice and warm still, and it's the perfect place for a small one to relax before fully waking up and wreak havoc.

Once a week, Peanut falls back asleep and stays in our bed until late (for him: 8:00 or 8:30 a.m.). This is that morning. I'm not objecting, because I know his energy needs recharging and, well, I get stuff done.

So laundry's in the washer waiting to go when Peanut arises, plans are made for today, and I have a good start on my work for the morning when I hear something from my room.

My child is laughing in his sleep.

And I stop in my mommy tracks to savor this moment.

There is nothing cooler than that. I like to think he's so secure that his dreams are happy and he sees nothing more than the joy of life. In reality, he's probably plotting all manner of mischief to run me ragged today. I'll take it. Because right now, all is quiet. My small son is laughing in his sleep. He just woke up, and has a smile for me. And all is right with my world.

Call me Mother of the Year.

No comments: